I kept waiting for the prompts from the old script and they never came.  I
had to run through the install three times to figure out where the script
had been changed, and by then something had gone wrong with the boot
sequence. I could boot into Linux but not Windows. I had to reinstall the
Windows partition and to get rid of the linux bootstrap, lost all the
settings for my Windows programs.

I have once a similar kind of problems because I changed the size of one
Linux partition. This changed the number of partition Windows see and prevented it from starting.

The fix for me was to edit hidden system file "boot.ini" from the windows c-partition. It contains instruction how win2000/nt boot.
For me it is something like: (The fix for me was to change the number 10 to number 9)

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(9)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Another useful thin is to use win2000 administration tools for changing the drive letter windows uses for it's partitions. (This list get always resetted if you change any of the partions in the harddrive)

Mika