Buchan Milne wrote:

Sure, but this makes it really difficult.   Since now you have to hack
around, first getting whatever tool you are using to decide how to name
folders (dots or slashes),

No, every imap server will tell its hierarchy separator

whether to use a prefix or not, and you have

it should also tell you its namespaces

to fake authentication (or know all the user passwords), and it's

sasl supports proxy auth (let an administrator login as a user). Not all sasl method support proxy auth, there's a table in the documentation.
When I started I didn't know about proxy auth and I faked authentication ;-) (besides, I don't think imap utils can use proxy auth)

difficult to do in batch.

Why isn't there a tool to accept mail straight into the mailbox in cyrus
for this purpose, that can only be run as the cyrus user, and will
deliver to a specified mailbox without any changes to the message??

Ask the CMU folks, but the imap protocol coupled with proxy auth gives you all the tools to do this without messing with the datastore.

[...]

I really can't believe this, so many people migrate from uw to courier or cyrus, there *really* should be a guaranteed, easy way to do this.

I'm sorry I cannot help you with mbxcvt options, but it's been 4 (or 5) years since I used it.
As for the guaranteed it's difficult: if you have malformed messages cyrus won't accept them unless you massage them to comply the RFCs.

Sorry for the rant, but this *really* *is* ridiculous.

If feel your pain, and I'm happy I'm already beyond that phase ;-)

Bye

--
Que les importa a las viudas, a los huérfanos, a los desvalidos
si las masacres se hacen en nombre del totalitarismo o en el