> ------- Additional Comments From [EMAIL PROTECTED]  2003-28-07 19:11 -------
> Yes, a setuid wrapper could be made for exemple to solve the problem.

> I don't know if supermount can be modified safely to release floppy as soon as
> an application try to open /dev/fd0 in writing, but it should be possible too
> and it could be the best place to fix the problem.

supermount can release device (and block further access to it);
you have to do it manually using /proc interface.

doing this automatically involves too many cnages in kernel and I
won't do it; adding wrapper that does

echo /dev/fd0 release disable > /proc/fs/supermount/subfs

to GNOME formatter is far more simple.

> Note: formating a floppy while mounted is impossible, the device is busy, there
> is nothing to do here unless umounting the floppy (in root furthermore when
> using supermount).

do not use real device name when mounting supermount; use "none". Then
nobody can ever check that /dev/fd0 is mounted by supermount.

use /proc interface to release it before formatting.

tell Juan to include my supermount to make it possible :)