On Saturday 02 August 2003 07:30, Buchan Milne wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Aug 2003, Joe Baker wrote:
> > Can we switch to using gdm.
> Sure you can. Mandrake Control Center->Hardware->Display Manager

No wonder I'd never seen that setting before.  Shouldn't that be under System
rather than Hardware?

I feel kinda sheepish now because I've been blaming the KDE guys for the lousy
login manager in Mandrake 9.1... thought they'd tried to tart up kdm for some
reason, never understood why when I changed my kdm settings in KDE Control
Center the changes never seemed to take.  I've had about 10 users ask me why
they couldn't just type their username anymore, but instead have to scroll
through the list of ~130 NIS users and then click... at least once a day in
the data processing room you hear "(typetypetype)... ARRGH". Now at least I
know how to fix it, but shame that I'll have to do it on all the 9.1 boxes
I've already deployed and there's no apparent way to set up a package
selection floppy to make it use kdm so I'll have to manually change it on all
the new boxes going forward.

Now I just have to figure out how to put that into a bug report.

Rob