On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Guillaume Rousse wrote:

> Ainsi parlait Manoj Joseph :
> > On August 20, 2003 7:56 PM, Buchan Milne wrote:
> > > But, it is not the prime aim of Mandrake Linux to provide missing
> > > features in a proprietary operating system.
> > >
> > :)
> > :
> > > Well, the first question I have is, can this software be compiled from
> > > source using only free software available in Mandrake (main + contrib)?
> > > If not, then it can't really be included.
> >
> > It needs
> > 1. a Windows compiler (compiler that can compile code for windows)
> > 2. Microsoft's DDK which is _free_.
> I'm not sure you understand the sense of free software... We're refering to
> the license, not the price.
I do not like the "free" argument when talking about windows tools. I
think even the "autostart" program on the cds cannot be compiled with a
free compiler (isn't it done with delphi?). This driver cannot be rejected
because of this I think. It is virtually impossible to ship anything free
on windows.
I will probably never use this, but I think it _is_ a valuable addition to
the distro. Even if nobody uses it is looks like in a press release.
In this case, being a little less extremistic could be a good thing.

d.