On 06 Jun 2000 17:23:52 +0200 you wrote:

 > Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
 >
 > > On 06 Jun 2000 11:10:46 +0200 you wrote:
 > >
 > > This was the ISO from free.fr.
 > > I will try downloading again.
 >
 > d'better d/l the final now :-).
 >
 > --
 > Guillaume Cottenceau

I downloaded the ISO again.  I still had the same problem.  I then
made a new boot disk.  That fixed the problem, sort of.

I made it to the package selection screen.  i found that it wouldn't let
me install everything I wanted.  Even though I had 2 gig of /usr.  I went
back to the filesystem screen and deleted /home, resized /usr to 2.2 G
and then recreated /home.  I reformatted all partitions. When i got back
to the select individual packages screen I would get the message 'Died'
whenever I selected a package.   I found myself in this state on more
than one install.

I decided to try automated install.  - this time I got the 'missing Basesystem' error.
followed by the expected 'divide by Zero' error.

i went back and tried expert mode again.  this time I only had to set the mount points.
the install went ok.   I chose to try XFree 4.0.  I have a voodoo3 card.
XFree failed miserably.  I couldn't readily see how to switch back to 3.3 -  I remember
seeing it in the XFree 4.0 docs at one point but I decided to reinstall and
select 3.3 this time.  It took 3 tries to get a new install again.  I had the same
problems.

it's interesting that in order to install 7.1 I have to learn the install script's bad
behaviors
and work around them.    The 7.0 installation is much more robust than 7.1.
i've installed 7.0 on 2 laptops and 2 desktops with only one problem - overlapping
partitions, on one of the laptops.

I would suggest thoroughly testing the install.  The machine I have is nothing special
and these bugs are easy to come across.   All I have done that is of any special
interest is resize my partitions from the automatic allocation.  and select additional
individual packages that I want installed.  that, and a bit of jumping around should
break the install quite readily.

I learned the shortcomings of the partition tool with 7.0, overlapping partitions and
what not.
So I'm very careful to delete trailing partitions before resizing an earlier
partition.  I've heard
this was fixed but I don't trust it.

The machine is SCSI - ncr/symbios 53c875, voodoo3, and an ethernet.  are pretty much
it.

Eric