On Wed 10 Sep 2003 07:33, Felix Miata posted as excerpted below:
> The best setting is none at all, or else font-family: sans-serif;.

No kidding!  The same applies to colors, of course.  Some people prefer light
on dark, while most web sites seem to default to dark on light.  The worst
problem is when a site sets bgcolor but not text color, or the reverse,
making an assumption about user color setting that may not be true, and
causing some folks to get white text on white background (or black on black,
for the reverse).  If one IS going to set one of the two, one should set
BOTH.

It's mainly for the color thing that I'm running a personal web proxy, the
contribs package privoxy.  I have it set up with quite a list of
s/bgcolor=f.f.f.// s/bgcolor=e.e.e./bgcolor=111111/ s/text=0.0.0.//
s/text=1.1.1./text=eeeeee/ etc.  (Of course the actual substitutions are a
bit more complex than that, but you get the idea.)

OTOH, the only font thing I've come across that I had to substitute for was
s+ms sans serif(,?)+m\$ sans serif($1)+isg (which disables it, but leaves the
telltale m$ version there so I can see the filter activated, if there are
issues).

Finally, it's worth mentioning that an earlier version of Konqueror would
crash on the &raquo sequence if used in a title.  Well, not crash, exactly,
but make KDE (not just Konqueror) entirely unresponsive to input.  One could
use the kernel's MagicSRQ keys to invoke raw keyboard, then switch to another
VC, from which KDE could be terminated and reinvoked, but that was about it.
Thus, I inserted a substitute for that using > > instead, which worked
fine.  (I've been going to check on it again and bug report if necessary, but
I'm a bit behind on updates right now..)

I started using personal web proxies with the Proxomitron on MSWormOS, and for
a time felt lost browsing the web on Linux w/o it.  I tried several, but when
that contrib package of privoxy arrived, it was just what I needed!  Browsing
is a much better experience when it's done on my terms, thanks to a personal
web proxy set up to rewrite IMO stupid page designs into something a bit more
personally tolerable.

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.
Benjamin Franklin