On Fri Sep 26, 2003 at 08:23:24PM +0200, Michael Scherer wrote:

> > > I'm with you vincent sendmail is well it's. I wont say it would not
> > > be nice but I would not mind seeing it go. Postfix is more than
> > > good enough to take it's place for those that choose it as are many
> > > other options out there.
> >
> > Well, let's put it this way.  For about 2 years now I've wanted
> > sendmail in contribs and if we really needed another MTA alternative
> > to postfix, I have very nice exim packages on rpmhelp.net and exim is
> > a really nice MTA.
> >
> > Not that this is a plug to put exim in main (doesn't matter to me...
> > it's available via rpmhelp.net), but a definite looking forward to
> > not having sendmail in main anymore.
>
> can you put exim in contribs at least ?

There's never been an interest before.  I've been maintining exim packages
for about 1.5-2 years now, and I never even knew anyone was interested.
IIRC, I had asked about putting it in contribs when I first built the
package (since it wasn't wanted in main) and the answer I got then was two
MTAs were enough.  Never bothered since.

If someone wants to put it in contribs, that's fine.  I'll still maintain it
on rpmhelp.net because, right now, you can grab exim for 9.0-9.2, and
instead of maintaining for "cooker" I maintain for stable releases.

> this will be easier to find it . Dispertion of rpm is not good, this
> force people to search too much and this gives them bad habits (
> downloading semi official rpm ).
> Putting it in contribs will allow it to be tested by more people, and
> integrated to cooker.

I disagree.  PLF doesn't have a problem with people using their packages.
IIRC, if you were to search in Club's rpm database or rpm2html listing or
whatever it is, you'll find exim listed under rpmhelp.net.

Are you saying that everything on rpmhelp.net, PLF, Texstar's stuf, etc.
should go in contribs?

I think separate rpm repositories that specialize in certain things is good.

> And, we will also be able to integrate some tools ( spamassassin, amavis
>  ) more closely with exim.

There really is nothing stopping you from doing that now.  It doesn't need
to be in contribs for that.

--
MandrakeSoft Security; http://www.mandrakesecure.net/
Online Security Resource Book; http://linsec.ca/