> On Sunday 05 Oct 2003 00:57, Adam Williamson wrote:
>> have to learn to let go, man. :D
>> >
>> > True, but I think the question was: can it be provided in the online
>> updates
>>
>> That's not how I read the post I replied to. It seemed to want 0.70 in
>> 9.2 proper.
>
> That was also my idea, but ok. IMHO "Gaim will someday post a 9.2
> version of  .70" is so very not te way to deal with this.

Well, I am sure there will be a package in MandrakeClub, and probably very
soon on the free MandrakeClub mirrors, which are quite easy to install
from.

> I think users
> really should be  able to upgrade during the install procedure.

Upgrades aren't provided for stable releases. Security and bugfix updates
are. If this *really* qualifies as a bugfix release, then it will be
tested a bit in cooker, and then put up on the mirrors.

But consider samba3 for a moment. You can't print to a Windows2003 server,
or connect to it with smbclient with samba-2.2.x. We have had samba3
packaged in contrib since before 9.1 was released, and we(I) have done a
lot of testing of samba3, and 3.0.0 final was released 2 weeks ago.

But it stays in contrib, since it was too late for the release schedule
(we were already in version freeze).

So, users in networks with Windows2003 servers need to install
samba3-client from contrib, which will at least allow them to print and
connect with smbclient (they must use mount.cifs which is in main to mount
network shares) with minimal effort (by using alternatives).

Those of you who depend on gaim could have made similar arrangements ...

> Making
> your way trough  sourceforge to find the correct update is not done for
> newbies that try  Mandrake as Redmond OS replacement, and Mandrake
> attracts a lot of those.

Sure, but it's just way too late for the 9.2 release itself, and a package
does at least need some testing (what if a vulnerability has been
introduced in the hasty implementation?), and most likely won't be
available for 9.2 until at least a few days after cooker reopens.

There is nothing that can be done now besides testing packages and/or
convincing the maintainer that this is worthy of a bugfix update (ie file
a bug).

Regards,
Buchan

Please click on http://www.cae.co.za/disclaimer.htm to read our
e-mail disclaimer or send an e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] for a copy.