On Sunday 05 Oct 2003 14:10, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > That was also my idea, but ok. IMHO "Gaim will someday post a 9.2
> > version of  .70" is so very not te way to deal with this.
>
> Well, I am sure there will be a package in MandrakeClub, and probably very
> soon on the free MandrakeClub mirrors, which are quite easy to install
> from.

Once you have found the manual how to do that, indeed.

> > I think users
> > really should be  able to upgrade during the install procedure.
>
> Upgrades aren't provided for stable releases. Security and bugfix updates
> are. If this *really* qualifies as a bugfix release, then it will be
> tested a bit in cooker, and then put up on the mirrors.
>
> But consider samba3 for a moment. You can't print to a Windows2003 server,
> or connect to it with smbclient with samba-2.2.x. We have had samba3
> packaged in contrib since before 9.1 was released, and we(I) have done a
> lot of testing of samba3, and 3.0.0 final was released 2 weeks ago.

One big difference: MSN and Yahoo used to work in Gaim, they don't work
anymore in 0.68. Yes, it is due to a protocol update, so it is not a bug of
Gaim, just a lacking feature. But Gaim pretends that it can connect to Yahoo
or MSN, so this is a bug in the eyes of any normal user. When I read your
samba 2.2 manual, I (assume I) can't find a section "how to print on a Win
2k3 server", for Samba doesn't know Win 2k3 servers.

> But it stays in contrib, since it was too late for the release schedule
> (we were already in version freeze).
>
> So, users in networks with Windows2003 servers need to install
> samba3-client from contrib, which will at least allow them to print and
> connect with smbclient (they must use mount.cifs which is in main to mount
> network shares) with minimal effort (by using alternatives).
>
> Those of you who depend on gaim could have made similar arrangements ...

This is not a matter of depending on gaim, this is a matter of willing to
prevent reviews from writing "Mandrake 9.2 is no good, it comes with broken
software"

Mandrake has a nice update feature during install, let's use it, instead of
defining what a bugfix is. What is better ? A few extra kB of updates, or a
broken distribution ?

Jos