> > > sata worked out of the box with silicone image controlers.
> >
> > and probably with ICH5/ VIA/ Promise too ?-)
> > ((which were missing in 2.4.22-10mdk))
> >
> > svetljo
>
> I support promise as little as possible here in my shop they have had over
> the
> years a bad habit of causing hard drive corruption and other issues. Buggy
>
> drivers under windows. Selling half broke chipsets to the mobo
> manufactures
> as simple ata controllers these then in turn cause all kinds of problems.
> My
> data is just not worth it.
>
> Not to mention the performance of the promise solution is no really not
> any
> faster than ata 133 for any regular use. In my testing here with si
> controllers the speed with a single 80gig sata maxtor was about the same
> as 2
> ata 133 40 gig maxtors running as a raid 0 array on a ata 133 high point
> controller. The 40 gigs were 2 meg cache and the 80gig was 8meg cache. All
> in
> all I was impressed with the speed and the sustained throughput was very
> impressive. Promise will not give you those numbers.
>

> As for via and I assume intel sata I cant say as I dont have any to test
> on.

i can not judge about the quility of the drivers (libata) as i don't have
any
SATA hardware, but as i play patching the kernel i know that the drivers
were not
included in 2.4.22-10mdk

>I wanted to pick up a high point sata controller for testing also but have
> not
> yet so it may not be supported either.

don't play with HPT ! :)
AFAIK they don't have native SATA chip yet,
the cards are plain PATA 133 controlers with SATA bridges,
and acording to lkml are suported by the hpt374 driver (PATA133)

svetljo