On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Mark Scott wrote:

> Ah, yes, doing a "modprobe sata_via" makes the drive work. So I guess the
> kernel doesn't need patching, but maybe updating (the last libata patch was
> 17th Oct). I don't know if this is reliable or not... I'll find out over
> time :-)

AFAICS, this only brings up sata_promise 0.83, which is now in
2.4.22-19mdk. I am interested to know the performance of your plain IDE
drive. Strangely, it does appear that if sata_via is loaded, kernel
doesn't recognize normal disk as UDMA133 capable...

BTW, ia32 installer won't know about those SATA drivers unless it is
rebuilt with latest -BOOT kernel & ldetect-lst.