On 10.23, Brad Felmey wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 11:40, Buchan Milne wrote:
>
> > So, when can we add an icon on the desktop for smb:/ in KDE and GNOME by
> > default, called something like "Local Network" (I have one on my desktop
> > - - actually called "Windows Network", and it works great).
>
> I concur. This is exactly what I've been doing with my users. Just put a
> konq link on the desktop called "Windows Network", and point it to
> smb:/. I also added it to the personal toolbars in Konq, so it's easy to
> get there from wherever. It's seamless to them, and really went a long
> way toward their happiness in Linux.

I disagree here.

Why is everybody so found on  making Linux look like Windows ?
Linux is linux, it is great, and works its way. Why everybody thinks that
what Winblow$ does is sliced bread wrt user interfaces/interaction ?

That is the never ending problem. You can make linux _look_ like windows,
but never _behave_ like windows (unless you fill it up with bugs ;). The
user comparing it will always say 'mmm, almost, but not the same, this
is a windows-wannabe'.

BTW, if this ever comes to mdk, plz think that a network neighborhood is not
a 'windows' nbh, you can also see nfs shares... Learn from osx, the
network browse window shows AppleTalk zones and SMB zones, you do not
distinguish them.

--
J.A. Magallon <jamagallon()able!es>     \                 Software is like sex:
werewolf!able!es                         \           It's better when it's free