Hi,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
|>Well, yes, you are right, but what I do not agree with is putting a link
|>to "smb:/" on the desktop, unless it is made more reliable.
|

| It works great for me (at least, it shows all the workgroups the windows
| machines show, even if we can't access them anyway since we have
| firewalled ourselves off from the worms long ago ...).

For me it shows more-or-less everything, but when accessing the
directories on the server, I get often empty directories or it displays
a wrong one (e.g. when quickly switching from one to another) etc.

| Have you authenticated correctly to the server (setting in KDE Control
| Center->Networking->SMB Shares I think)?

Yes, otherwise I would not be able to get into the server at all. We
have an NT4 machine as domain controller, that may be the difference (no
workgroups, just domain - Samba used to work better with workgroups, as
far as I remember).

| Just recently, I have had to hit refresh when entering some directories.
| This wasn't necessary just a few weeks ago ... but I assume if can be
| restored to work the way it did before).

I didn't try much before, but I have seen this problem too. The
directory shows empty and I have to refresh it several times to get the
listing of files in there.

| Anyway, it seems your samba browsing is somewhat broken (or you are in an
| AD-only network without a WINS server or something like that).

Funny thing is, that smbclient and LinNeighborhood have no problems.
Just kio_smb. We have a standalone domain here, no AD in sight so far.

| Also, it
| should be better when we can compile kio_smb against libsmbclient again
| (as soon as cooker is open and I can put samba3 in main).

I will test it, when it gets into Cooker.

| LinNeighborhood works worse for me (WINS support doesn't really work
| correctly I think).

Hmm, we probably do not have WINS here, so that may be the problem.

Jan

- --

Jan Ciger
VRlab EPFL Switzerland