> Brad Felmey wrote:
> | I will smile and politely pat you on the shoulder, understanding |
> perfectly that you obviously have zero experience migrating an
> | enterprise environment to Linux.
>
> Well, yes, you are right, but what I do not agree with is putting a link
> to "smb:/" on the desktop, unless it is made more reliable.

It works great for me (at least, it shows all the workgroups the windows
machines show, even if we can't access them anyway since we have
firewalled ourselves off from the worms long ago ...).

> It does not work properly for me (I am current on Cooker) - I am seeing
> some shares from our Windows server but not others,

Have you authenticated correctly to the server (setting in KDE Control
Center->Networking->SMB Shares I think)?

> some directories
> seem to be empty even though they are not and many other strange things
> like this.

Just recently, I have had to hit refresh when entering some directories.
This wasn't necessary just a few weeks ago ... but I assume if can be
restored to work the way it did before).

Anyway, it seems your samba browsing is somewhat broken (or you are in an
AD-only network without a WINS server or something like that). Also, it
should be better when we can compile kio_smb against libsmbclient again
(as soon as cooker is open and I can put samba3 in main).

> Either use LinNeighborhood (which works fine for me) or nothing for now,
> because a half-broken solution is worse than none.

LinNeighborhood works worse for me (WINS support doesn't really work
correctly I think).

Regards,
Buchan