--- Michael Scherer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > - Do we need to run depmod if no new modules are
> > installed (many ways to check)?
>
> i think it  use -A switch and so is runned only if
> it should.

Well if there are new modules it takes almost 30
seconds, without them it's 4 seconds consistently. I
did a few runs and each time it isn't any faster. Go
figure.

> > - I just can't understand why kde takes so long to
> > start!??!?
>
> This has to do with the disk. a faster disk help moe
> than a faster
> processor.
> Maybe using -Os could help, but recompiling to test
> is maybe too much.

At work it starts in less then 10 seconds, but there i
don't use auto-login. This shows that context
switching can really canibalize performance. Ah
well... let's just wait for the 2.6.0 kernel.

> > - Idea: postpone cups and scannerdrake startup for
> 60
> > seconds to give desktop a chance to start and
> avoid
> > unnecessary context switching. It's very unlikely
> that
> > someone would like to print or scan something in
> the
> > first 60 seconds? The same trick could be used for
> > crond and atd I believe.
>
> So, the first 60 secondes would be as unusable as on
> windows ?

omg! whole 60 seconds! i can't print this file for
full 60 seconds, what will i do!??!?!?
well i can barely find a file, open it and click on
print (using a gui) in less then 60 seconds. I can do
it faster in console, but that is runlevel 3 so the
above must not necessarily apply