On Wednesday 29 Oct 2003 10:48, Frank Griffin wrote:
> Jos wrote:
> >I did some testing myself, working on something similar, though I still
> > don't know what people prefer: that I hack init, or replace /etc/rc.d/rc
> > by a binary...
>
> Is the problem that the necessary initializations take too long, or that
> they take too long when run serially under a single thread ?

1) We do too many things. One example is: running depmod every boot is
nonsense: if modules are installed by rpm, rpm can call depmod. If the user
installs a kernel by hand, make modules_install calls depmod. If the user
hacks the modules by hand he is on his own. Depmod -A is supposed to be fast,
but it still requires scanning a directory structure which hasn't been cached
yet. Hacking together a kernel.h at each boot is nice for the few guys who
change kernel every five minutes, not for the mainstream systems. My Mandrake
starts NFS support by default. IMHO I should see no NFS services started
unless configured by the user. Now they are started with empty tables.

2) We do them serial, which consumes extra time. Parallel is faster, the few
reports of slower boot times are due to incomplete service dependency tables,
causing services to timeout waiting for other services.

3) Ok, many things done don't take much time. but 20x not much time is still
much time.

4) We don't give the user the feeling the system is quick. The famous "Windows
XP is fast" remarks hold, for Windows XP makes the user think it is fast.This
is almost unresolvable unless we can drop XFree86, which is utter bloatware.
For init 3 (console) I managed to show the console within 3 seconds after
init entered runlevel 3. WOW that looked fast. Sure, I can't do much for my
network wasn't up yet, but the psychological effect was huge.

Jos

Windows XP is a trademark of the company which will probably sue me for
comparing it to Linux.