Le jeu 30/10/2003 à 12:01, Jos Hulzink a écrit :
> On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Vedran Ljubovic wrote:
> > Here are some thinkings:
> >
> > - Harddrake should *not* be disabled by default. If
> > one changes some piece of hardware (they'll probably
> > do that while their system is off :) strange things
> > may happen to their system. You may not change your
> > hardware often, but I for example have my case on
> > Removing harddrake might be sensible for laptops and
> > computers that are known to be black-boxes (servers,
> > non tech-savvy users; I'd like to make that call
> > myself).
>
> My point is that someone who changes hardware knows what he is doing, and
> pressing "H" at boot time to run harddrake is only a small step after
> hacking your hardware.

you're wrong.
1°/ linux users since 5 years, cooker user since 3 years, sysadmin and i
don't even know that pressing H was launching harddrake ... Where this
feature is writed and easily accessible to someone who don't even try to
find it ?

2°/ people changing hardware don't know what they do, especially on
linux. Normally if you change your hardware ( put USB/Firewire devices,
or add a CDROM/CDRWM ), you expect it should work automatically ( how
many people praise XP when it was able to detect and configure alone
their hardware when XP had the correct drive ? of course when something
was wrong ... ).
Even for graphic card/monitor we all waiting for the day when we will be
able to switch the graphic card and that linux/mdk will detect this at
boot and simply automatically configure it, etc ...

>  95% of the users will never change hardware, or it
> must be an usb stick, which should not heb handled by harddrake, for
> harddrake only detects at boot time. (My system comes with /dev/sda1 not
> found while mounting filesystems for I happened to have an USB stick in my
> machine during the install of 9.2. Have been too lazy to fix it yet.)

or a USB printer, or a new USB keyboard/mouse to replace your PS/2
keyboard/mouse, a USB HD, an USB camera, ...

> > and other such examples. That's 18 seconds or more
> > than 20% of overall boot-up time. I don't think
> > parallelization can bring that much benefit.
> > Also consider splitting harddrake in part that is
> > needed to run X (detecting video card, monitor and
> > mouse) and the rest that runs after the desktop is up.
> > It can even show a nice GUI for new hardware :) What
> > else can be delayed after the GUI is up?
>
> Harddrake isn't _THAT_ slow, splitting it up would cause more overhead.
>
> /me wonders if XFree can be stripped. 99 % of the users will never use the
> remote connect features of X. I'm not an X expert, are the remote connect
> features and such loaded when X starts ?

the network support in XFree doesn't slow XFree startup. culprits here
are the toolkits, the De ( gnome/KDE ) and ldd.
the network support may slow XFree during usage ( i.e not everything is
optimized for direct access, but that's a wrong debate )

---
Faites-vous des amis prompts a vous censurer. -- Nicolas Boileau,
Satires