On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 04:20:24 +0100 (MET)
"Svetoslav Slavtchev" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > I wonder how they do it.
> > Is there a patch for modular IDE in their kenrel ?
> > It is officially broken, even in 2.4 .
>
> yes, they do have patches both for 2.4 & for 2.6
>
> 2.6 patches uploaded
> CA05-deb-modular_ide
> DV20-deb-modular_vesafb
> FC01-deb-cramfs_initrd

I'll have a look at them, thanks :)

> my changelog uploaded
> CHANGES-2.6
>
> my current patch tarball is uploading
> linux-test9s5.tar.bz2
>
> nosrc.rpm && may be rpm after successfully recompile
> under the same kernel :-)
>
> url as always  http://varna.demon.co.uk/~svetlio/cook/2.6/

Nice, why not uploading your package to contrib ?
Could you please make your kernel config file available so that we can
discuss a bit more about options ?

> > > and if we go hacking mkinitrd, we make also add suport for cramfs
> > >
> > > i'll upload it shortly to the usual place :-)
> done

Thanks again.

> > by the way, why aren't new module-init-tools updated in main ?
>
> because the maintainer is hiding somewhere :(

Well, the packager (Chmouel) is gone, he doesn't work at
MandrakeSoft anymore.
The real maintener is now Andrey, but I guess he hasn't rights to upload
in main. Who can volunteer ?

> > I'll submit a (very small) patch for mkinitrd to add splash in 2.6
> > initrds.
>
> could you add cramfs support ?-)

yes, no problem
Should I make it an option in mkinitrd ?

> but how do i find the config option ?
> i could find only the atm drivers :(

It's called "Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM) (EXPERIMENTAL)", in
"Networking options".

> > > do really want to put  mouse & co in initrd,
> > > IMO it could be loaded if/when root is mounted
> >
> > How to auto detect the right module to load ?
>
> they could be loaded unconditionaly after root is mounted
> (there might be some warnings, but nothing that could harm the system)

Do you want to try to load *all* mouse and keyboard drivers at boot ?
That might work, but hey, that's not so smart :)

[ about console support ]
> and these users will run not self compiled kernel ?
> i'm not that sure :-)

I'll submit a poll on irc channels :)

--
Olivier Blin