[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> XV is available with source, but it has a price tag. AFAIK, the GPL does
> not prohibit the sale of open source software. Not that I'm claiming
> that XV is necessarily GPL compatible, but it is open, placing it miles
> ahead of any commercial closed package.

XV is open?????? please have a sleep and rethink in the light of some
extracts of their README file:

XV IS SHAREWARE FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY.

You may use XV for your own amusement, and if you find it nifty,
useful, generally cool, or of some value to you, your registration fee
would be greatly appreciated.  $25 is the standard registration fee,
though of course, larger amounts are quite welcome.  Folks who donate
$40 or more can receive a printed, bound copy of the XV manual for no
extra charge.  If you want one, just ask.  BE SURE TO SPECIFY THE
VERSION OF XV THAT YOU ARE USING!

COMMERCIAL, GOVERNMENT, AND INSTITUTIONAL USERS MUST REGISTER THEIR
COPIES OF XV.

[...]

If you use XV in the course of doing your work, whatever your 'work' may
happen to be, you *must* register your copy of XV.

[...]

Permission to copy and distribute XV in its entirety, for
non-commercial purposes, is hereby granted without fee, provided that
this license information and copyright notice appear in all copies.

If you redistribute XV, the *entire* contents of this distribution
must be distributed, including the README, and INSTALL files, the
sources, and the complete contents of the 'docs' directory.

--
Guillaume Cottenceau -- Distribution Developer for MandrakeSoft
http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/