>> I'd really like to see a server only
>> install.  Something that doesn't install any
>> X, KDE, GNOME, etc.
>>
>> Really drives me nuts when I do a server
>> install of Mandrake and it proceeds to
>> install a bunch of stuff I would never put
>> on my server. Then I spend the next hour
>> looking at rpm -qa | more un installing all
>> this stuff.
>
> Have you try with expert install , server
> option, slider all at left : at minimum, and
> then select individual packages if you want
> add some more ??....;o)

I seem to compare Red Hat and Mandrake a lot, I
wonder if I secretly enjoy it.  Anyway..

I can perform a Red Hat 6.2 Custom install,
select only the following package groups:

Base
Mail/WWW/News Tools
Networked Workstation
NFS Server
SMB (Samba) Server
Anonymous FTP Server
Web Server
DNS Name Server
Network Management Workstation
Kernel Development
Utilities

.. not select ANY individual packages, and have a
functioning development and network server with
no X in under 5 minutes.  There will be two X
packages, XFS and XFree86 libs.  Not gonna yell
and scream about the libs, and a simple "rpm -e"
kills the XFS.

Can you do this with Mandrake?  Does Mandrake
allow you to select entire package groups, or do
you still have to pick a system type, and then go
through individual packages to kill everything
you want/don't want?  To me, system types are a
little too restrictive.  I can't choose between
"Development" and "Server", I want both.  But I
don't want "Everything", and I REALLY don't want
any "X" at all.

Now, I will say, separating those things out as
carefully as Red Hat does I think is going a
little too far, but it's hard to draw a line.
Some of their groups are really bloated, too (at
least in my opinion).

I think that something along the lines below
would be more than adequate:

Web Server
 - Has Apache and Stuff
Mail Server
 - Sendmail/Postfix Stuff
File Server
 - FTP, NFS and Samba Stuff
Printer Stuff
 - CUPS, LPD, etc.
Network Server
 - DNS, SNMP, DHCP, NTP, etc.
Database Server
 - MySQL/Postgres
 - XFree86 without the KDE/GNOME stuff.
KDE
 - KDE and base apps
GNOME
 - GNOME and base apps
Development Tools
 - Base development tools
Kernel & Compilation Tools
 - Only the stuff necessary to compile a new
   kernel
Documentation & Manuals
 - All the optional LDP guides and other stuff
   that aren't necessary for everyone/every
   install but are useful for
   completeness/newbies
Basic Utilities and Tool
 - Stuff that isn't required for the base
   operating system, but makes things a heck of a
   lot more useful, *but doesn't bloat the
   system*

I think a combination of a Custom/Expert install,
the above package group selections, the sliding
bar to add all the nice "junk", and then a final
quick run through of individual package selection
would make an install about 10 times quicker.

Don Head             [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Linux Mentor, LCA, Network+       [1 314 692-1942]
Wave Technologies, Inc.     [1 800 826-4640 x1942]
[AIM - Don Wave][ICQ - 18804935][Yahoo - Don_Wave]