> Loooks like - yes, Perl is still needed by some packages. At least, I was
not
> able to clean up it from my installation completely, but succeded with
some
> minor perl-related packages.

You won't get rid of perl completely, all of the installation scripts and
such are written in Perl (stuff such as DrakConf as well, I believe).

> Perl is scripting language, right? And old-fashioned, not easy to use...

That depends on your point of view...  :)

> I believe it can be replaced by JavaScript, especially taking into
> consideration that it is now has ECMA standard (ECMA script)
> It will take some time compilers/make utilities to follow, but system
setup
> should go without Perl.

That may be, but it will probably be quite a while before javascript on unix
has support for as much system stuff as perl does.  Perl has built-in hooks
for accessing system-level stuff through C, I'm not sure if that's available
with javascript yet, and until then, things like the disk resizing code in
the installer couldn't be replaced.

--
Ben Reed ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
http://defiance.dyndns.org/