Guillaume Cottenceau wrote:

> Pierre Fortin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Guillaume Cottenceau wrote:
> > >
> > > Try it with Redhat you'll have the same problem. Graphical installers eat
> > > memory. (much). sorry. So do higher-level language installers such as Perl
> > > or Python-based.
> >
> > Not convinced this is the real answer (I reported this as bug#691)...
> > ftp fails and nfs works... so it would seem that the real issue is one
> > of file transfer with local storage vs remote file access with its
> > inherent remote storage.
>
> Maybe if you read the messages you would have understood the reason of the
> problem: with FTP install we have to use a ramdisk it's mandatory (FTP
> cannot abstract a filesystem, as NFS can, so execing the second stage on
> FTP is impossible)

Rather than get snooty, you too should read the message...  whether you call it
memory, or ramdisk, either way it's MEMORY for the files.  Graphical may
aggravate the situation; but the real problem is one of failure to check for
available space and/or memory full.  Instead, the ftp install just croaks.

> We can't do some local storage at this step where we don't have any
> available partition.
>
> > This begs the question: for such installs, if a swap partition is
> > available, would it not make sense to use it for ftp installs (maybe as
> > a temporary ext2 fs if that would help)...?
>
> A /tmp partition would be better, but it's a bit of work anyway.

Without going this step, a more meaningful message would avoid these high-heat
cooker discussions.

> People with enough bandwidth to do an FTP install can either burn an ISO
> or download to do an ISO or HD install..

In my case, I was trying to do an ftp install over my LAN.  You're right in that
I could have d/l'ed to the laptop and done a HD install; but that too could be
in a smarter install process informing the user of that option.

My point in posting was to look for solutions; yet, the heated discussions of
late are going to chase away anyone trying to be of help.

Found in Perl newsgroup:

>> Remember being young and getting your first toy that required assembly,
>> wanting it together so bad but not knowing how to do it, not knowing
>> what instructions were or where to find them?  I'm glad my Dad didn't
>> FLAME me for not knowing.  He showed me, with kindness.
>>   Phil Jach - 1998

Pierre