> > the question is will there ever be any support for mandrake and the PPC?

> basically all the packages are done, we wait for the kernel and the
> installer. (AFAIK)

The installer is one of the things that is holding the UNOFFICAL alpha
port back too. I've tried to compile it a few times, some things are
fixed (Thanks Geoff!!) and some things just need to be "done" (does "not
enough time" say enough?).

Kernel-2.2 is compiling (although the alpha .config files need to be
updated) but I'm experiencing some problems running the kernel. The
tulip module is behaving weird (need to investigate more).

I'm also working on getting kernel-2.4 to compile. The .spec file needs
some more ifarch aditions (it'll start looking like the kernel-2.2 .spec
file). I need to work more on that & hopefully it can be merged when
kernel-2.4 hits cooker.

XFree86-4 has the nice feature to CRASH the machine on an alpha (very
very hard, no chance to debug, it throws the machine back onto the
firmware). The problem seems to lie in some kind of "needSparse" thing.
I'll check out how RedHat fixed it in their just released RH-7.0 for
alpha.

Today I was working on getting some dependancy problems solved in the
alpha binaries. You can check the status of building on:
http://d10179.dtk.chello.nl/build/cooker/alpha/

For the rest it's pretty much like the x86 cooker. Some packages that
haven't been touched for a while aren't building. There are some
dependancy issues, some fileconflicts, etc. The usual.

We hope to soon start distributing the binaries (& getting more people
involved on the alpha port, I hope) and getting a more serious build-box
(right now it's all building on my private machine). But more on that
when it all actually happens.

Stefan van der Eijk

PS: I'm _not_ associated with Mandrake... The text above is my own.