Well, actually, I did try that one, mainly because it looked so promising
(the magic number "8139" and all).  It didn't work.  So then I got
frustrated and went down the entire list and tried each and every module
listed, all to no good effect.  :-)  Is it picky about the I/O address or
anything (I'm pretty sure the BIOS is set to "Plug and play OS = NO" - would
that matter?).  I dunno, I'm just guessing there.  Maybe I've actually found
a bug.  Wouldn't that be exciting for me.

Anyway, the thread titled "install hd.img for BusLogic" has a reference to
using expert mode to choose extra modules (quoting Guillaume Cottenceau:
"Copy it on an ext2-filesystem'ed floppy, type "expert" at boot time and put
this floppy as an additional modules floppy.").  Silly me, not being so full
of myself as to consider myself an expert (I always choose expert or
"custom" when install M$ stuff, why not Linux stuff).  :-)  I'll see what I
can make of that tonight (build rtl8139.o on my 7.2 box and insert it using
expert mode).

I will also try 8139too.o again, just to make sure I'm not lying about it
not working.  ;-)

Eaon