Well, it didn't work.  I fmirror'd when I got home last night, and saw a new
network.img come down, so I tried that with 8139too.o.  No go.  I then tried
compiling rtl8139.o on my existing 7.2 system and adding it through expert
mode, and that failed too.  So that leaves me with: a) It needs some
parameters to the module that I don't now, or b) it's an IRQ conflict - how
do I deal with that? Parameters that I don't know, probably, or c) it's a
hardware problem, and I've got bigger fish to fry, as it were.  I think
tonight I'll install Win(bloze)98 and see if its fab-o nifty plug and pray
can find the card (how's that for asking to be flamed).  If it can't either,
then I know I've got a hardware problem.  If it can, then it's (a) or (b).
But it's looking less and less like a software issue, and more like a quirk
of my  system.

Eaon