> Ummm try turning off PnP OS in your BIOS--reliable as a rain
> dance but what
> do you have to lose?

Last night I tried both on and off, to no avail.  And I installed Win98SE
and the card works in that, so I know it's not bad hardware.  So I've
narrowed it down to IRQs (which I thought didn't matter any more in this
brave new world of PCI, but what do I know?).  I ripped out the sound card,
just in case, leaving the network card, video card (Matrox Millennium II),
and a Voodoo 1 card.  And, I figured out, USB.  It's not a card, but it was
using an IRQ.  The same IRQ as my NIC.  (Different I/O range, but same IRQ)
No matter what I did, no matter how I changed it in Windows (using the
handy-dandy Device Manager), it always set the IRQ of my NIC and the IRQ for
the USB to the same thing.  That's probably due to the whole "IRQ routing"
thing I know nothing about, right?  So I looked around in the BIOS and found
an entry "Assign IRQ to USB".  I set that to disabled.  But it didn't solve
my problem.  It did, however generate different output during the bootup.
(Now, work with me here, I was reading it as fast as I could as it scrolled
by, but this should be close.)

Either way, with "IRQ for USB" enabled or disabled, I get this:

<4> Unknown bridge resource 0: assuming transparent
<4> Unknown bridge resource 1: assuming transparent
<4> Unknown bridge resource 2: assuming transparent
<4> PCI: Using IRQ router PIIX (8086/7110) at 00:07.0

If I disable "IRQ for USB", I also get this, :

<4> PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:07.2
<4> PCI: The same IRQ used for device 00:09.0

Does any of that make sense to anyone?  Cause I'm pretty sure it relates to
my problem, but being a Java programmer by trade, not a kernel hacker, I'm a
bit stumped.  :-)

Eaon

p.s. This may be getting way beyond a cooker problem, and if it is, feel
free to tell me to junk the whole thing and do something different.  ;-)