"Eaon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Well, actually, I did try that one, mainly because it looked so promising
> (the magic number "8139" and all).  It didn't work.  So then I got
> frustrated and went down the entire list and tried each and every module
> listed, all to no good effect.  :-)  Is it picky about the I/O address or
> anything (I'm pretty sure the BIOS is set to "Plug and play OS = NO" - would
> that matter?).  I dunno, I'm just guessing there.  Maybe I've actually found
> a bug.  Wouldn't that be exciting for me.

If it's a PCI card, apart from a IRQ/DMA conflict everything should run
fine..

> Anyway, the thread titled "install hd.img for BusLogic" has a reference to
> using expert mode to choose extra modules (quoting Guillaume Cottenceau:
> "Copy it on an ext2-filesystem'ed floppy, type "expert" at boot time and put
> this floppy as an additional modules floppy.").  Silly me, not being so full
> of myself as to consider myself an expert (I always choose expert or
> "custom" when install M$ stuff, why not Linux stuff).  :-)  I'll see what I
> can make of that tonight (build rtl8139.o on my 7.2 box and insert it using
> expert mode).

Be careful, this is done at very early stage, so you have to manually
provide all potential modules requirements to each modules (f.ex.
advansys.o requires scsi_mod.o).

Also, in expert mode, no PCI autoprobing is done.

--
Guillaume Cottenceau - http://us.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/