Hi

geoffrey> Code produced for C++ is like this:

geoffrey> egcs is not compatible with gcc 2.95.x. gcc 2.95.x is not compile with
geoffrey> gcc 2.96. gcc 2.96 is not compatible with gcc 3.0.

geoffrey> End of story. We have distributed egcs  and gcc 2.95 before, we had
geoffrey> incompatibility, why are you worrying so much?

And any other steps in between are also incompatible.  But this is
only c++ code, and there is _way_ more c code that c++ code in any
distribution that I can think of.  Here the problem appears only with
closed source (i.e. you need some linker/soname gymnastics to get
netscape built with gcc-X run in a machine with gcc-Y, Y!=X.)  But you
can reduce that problems with libstdc*compat (that all
distributions that I have looked at have solved).  Your problem only
appears if you want to use a closed library compiled with an older
compiler with your new compiler, that will fails :(

Later, Juan.

are different -- Larry McVoy