On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 10:47:05AM -0700, Harry wrote:
> Well, I'm glad this follow along with Mandrake billing itself as the easiest
> to use, and user-friendly distro... As I'm certain ALL users are familiar
> with how to compile source packages.

The fact is most users just want something that works and aren't begging
and screaming for bleading edge updates.

> Oh well, whatever, I can see that the actual argument I was making is going
> exactly nowhere here. Unfortunately typical Unix/Linux ("Roll it yourself,
> or you're a loser") crowd :-)

Please don't put words in my mouth all I said was that you could if you
really needed to.  Like I said above I don't believe that most users are
begging for the latest greatest package.  I'm pretty sure most of them
are willing to wait a couple months until the next distribution release.
And if they can't like I said in a previous email there are lots of rpms
rolled by people other than Mandrake.

> Seriously, from a business perspective, I would tend to disagree with the
> 'it's not worth it' issue, and as I pointed out to Geoffrey, many of the
> updates (to Apache and PHP) address serious functionality or security
> issues. Claiming it's not worth fixing those seems disingenious.

Serious functionality or security issues *DO* get updated by Mandrake.
Don't be obtuse.

--
Ben Reser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://ben.reser.org

Wizard's First Rule - People are stupid, they will believe anything
if they want it to be true or they fear it is true - Terry Goodkind