On 7/24/01 11:48 AM, "David Walluck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You, yourself, said that .0 releases are somewhat unstable, so fllowing
> that logic, 7.2 should be more stable than 8.0. Why would you want to
> risk stability by adding upgrades? 7,2 was tested for stability and the
> fact that stuff works. Security updates are provided because they are
> more or less necessary. If you are of the mindset that you need to be
> running the latest and greatest, cooker may be what you want, but you'll
> have to throw stability out the Window.

Sigh! This has little to do with 'latest and greatest', as you know, Apache
1.3.20 fixed a bungc of functional and security issues, and PHP 4.06 fixed
some annoying memory leaks - both fixes that seem pretty important to
someone running a production server.

Mandrake's pursuit of the cutting edge is starting to cut into stability and
reliability for those trying to run their stuff in serious environments.

> What, does Microsoft support even one OS back?

Well, I said it before, but you just confirmed the Microsoftation of
Mandrake - if that's what you think they should aspire to, then more power
to them. I just doubt that what they do, as Gaël seems to be partial to
Steve Jobs.

> For a production server, 7.2 may be the best... production serves don't
> run the latest and greatest, they run *production* quality. That said,
> nothing is stopping you from grabbing the cooker SRPMS and compiling for
> yourself on 7.2/8.0 if you know what you are doing.

Yadda, yadda, yadda, "roll your own or you're a loser",yadda, yadda,
yadda...

Let me reiterate that Mandrake bills itself as the 'user friendly' distro,
and 'easy to use'.

Harry