the culprit is... anacron
I have both anacron and crond services running (and
have for quite some time). They appear to do the same
thing and I am unsure of the differences, but since I
disabled anacron it has not crashed (at least with the
frequency that it has been... still somewhat of a
short time testing... but long enough to know that
this was the initial issue).

I also updated to anacron-2.3-10mdk late on Friday so
I think we have a winner here.

--- SI Reasoning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have found that I can stay up when in single user
> mode, so I checked the logs again and could find no
> pattern or clue as to why it was failing. However,
> since I could function in single user mode I went
> back
> to runlevel 5 and then closed most of my services
> including xinetd. The system is running now, so I
> intend to bring up a service every 15 minutes or so
> until I find which one is causing the problem.
>
> --- "J.P.Pasnak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ready
> > Error}
> >
> > Might be just me, but it sounds like the whole
> > ATA/UDMA/VIA 'problem' rearing
> > it's ugly head again....
> >

> > --
> > "Live fast, die young,
> > you're sucking up my bandwidth"
> >
> > J.P. Pasnak, CD
> > Warped Systems
> > http://www.warpedsystems.sk.ca
> > http://canopener.ca
> >

> =====
> SI Reasoning
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> gnupg/pgp key id 035213BC

> Get email alerts & NEW webcam video instant
> messaging with Yahoo! Messenger
> http://im.yahoo.com

=====
SI Reasoning