On Tue Nov 13, 2001 at 01:31:30PM -0500, Gary Lawrence Murphy wrote:

>     V> ...  Come up with a complete hires framebuffer login with good
>     V> graphics and people will be more pleased than with some cheezy
>     V> ansi junk.
>
> Isn't that what KDM/GDM are for?  Whatever it is, though, and I'm not
> against a framebuffer login, but it has to be an option.  Mandrake
> already disqualifies a lot of users by requiring a framebuffer
> install program.

Sure, but not everyone (gasp!) uses the GUI.  On one of my mdk boxen,
I never go into X because I don't need to.  That machine is strictly
for building updates, so X has no need to be loaded (saves me some
memory for compiling stuff anyways).  On my workstation, I use GDM,
and like it, but I still use the console occassionally (not an
xterm).  Then I get to see the ugly penguin (well, not anymore).  SuSE
7.2+ has a really nice GUI console for vc/1.  Very slick.  But I don't
think it's optional (probably is, but never saw how to disable it).

Optional framebuffer login is good.  I should look to see how SuSE
implemented this to see how it can be done here.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED], OpenPGP key available on www.keyserver.net
1024D/FE6F2AFD   88D8 0D23 8D4B 3407 5BD7  66F9 2043 D0E5 FE6F 2AFD

Current Linux kernel 2.4.8-31.1mdk uptime: 15 days 0 hours 35 minutes.