That maybe the case...but I upgraded two systems from
7.2 to 8.1 but only had problems with one of them... I
was able to resolve it with the old kernel by mkinitrd
and placing read-only in the global section at the
beginning of lilo.conf. That does not seem to work
with the new kernel.

--- Vincent Danen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon Nov 26, 2001 at 09:21:18AM -0800, SI
> Reasoning wrote:
>
> > potential "uniqueness":
> > - 2 disk system with /boot on hda2 and / on hdb2
> > - upgraded mdk7.2 to 8.1
> > - migrated from ext2 to ext3 (previous kernel)
> > - k6-2 400 cpu (in case it is an amd chipset
> issue)
>
> I suspect, and this is by no means concrete, that
> your problem may
> lie with the ext2->ext3 conversion.  I installed an
> 8.1 system
> recently using ext3, but it was formatted as ext3.
> The two disk
> system should make no difference, and I can't see as
> a 7.2->8.1 update
> would be the cause of the problem.
>
> When I have a chance, I'll try installing a 8.0
> ext2-based system in
> vmware and then upgrade to 8.1 and converting the
> ext2 partitions to
> ext3.  But it may take some days before I am able to
> do this.
>
> --
> vdanen (at) mandrakesoft.com, OpenPGP key available
> on www.keyserver.net
> 1024D/FE6F2AFD   88D8 0D23 8D4B 3407 5BD7  66F9 2043
> D0E5 FE6F 2AFD
>
> Current Linux kernel 2.4.8-34.1mdk uptime: 9 days 8
> hours 19 minutes.

=====
SI Reasoning
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve
neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin