I know that this is not an answer to your problem, but I am running 8.1
(with 2.4.8-34.1) with all but my home partition formatted ext3.  I am
constantly crashing this system due to some usb problem jamming up the
shutdown.  Thus I am continually recovering those partitions from the
journals and have never encountered the problem you are describing.  I
am just wondering if there is something unique about your system that is
causing the problem.  In any case, I have not seen it (yet).

-George Mitchell