Vincent Danen ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> On Fri Nov 30, 2001 at 10:21:25AM +0100, Han wrote:

>> Following irc sometime and a often reoccuring theme is that windows
>> removes lilo and the newbs can't get linux back again. There is a
>> very easy sollution to this problem. I have been using it for quite
>> some time now and It allways works and the recovery is allways
>> straightforward. Much easier than any conventional solution.

>> 1) Install lilo on the linux partition.

>> 2) Install GAG as the bootmanager.

>> Gag is : GPL, braindead-easy, good looking, easy to recover.

>> I think it would be a good idea if we install Mandrake like that.
>> Much more newbie friendly.

> Why not just tell people to make boot floppies like they're supposed
> to?  =)  Then it's just:

Yeah they are braindead and stupid, but.... you might lose that
floppy. It is a unique floppy that you more or less have to update
with every kernel update. And you have bad luck if it fails.

If the gag floppy fails you can go anywere to make a new one.

> boot from floppy
> as root run "/sbin/lilo -v"

> viola, next reboot you're fine.  I don't see the point of another boot
> manager.  We already have one.

The difference between a bootmanager and a bootloader.

Cya, Han.