On Fri Nov 30, 2001 at 09:11:34PM +0600, Mark D'voo wrote:

> > > Following irc sometime and a often reoccuring theme is that windows
> > > removes lilo and the newbs can't get linux back again. There is a very
> > > easy sollution to this problem. I have been using it for quite some
> > > time now and It allways works and the recovery is allways
> > > straightforward. Much easier than any conventional solution.
> > >
> > > 1) Install lilo on the linux partition.
> > >
> > > 2) Install GAG as the bootmanager.
> > >
> > > Gag is : GPL, braindead-easy, good looking, easy to recover.
> > >
> > > I think it would be a good idea if we install Mandrake like that. Much
> > > more newbie friendly.
> >
> > Why not just tell people to make boot floppies like they're supposed
> > to?  =)  Then it's just:
> >
> > boot from floppy
> > as root run "/sbin/lilo -v"
>
> i don't have a floppy drive, floppy is the devil

In that case, using GAG will do you no good either as if it gets wiped
from the MBR, you're still screwed.

At least you can boot from a CD-ROM, do the chroot, and still run lilo.

--
vdanen (at) mandrakesoft.com, OpenPGP key available on www.keyserver.net
1024D/FE6F2AFD   88D8 0D23 8D4B 3407 5BD7  66F9 2043 D0E5 FE6F 2AFD

Current Linux kernel 2.4.8-34.1mdk uptime: 12 days 8 hours 58 minutes.