On Sun, 20 Jan 2002, Onur Kucuk wrote:

>  Mandrake seems to be only major distro that does not have an "install
>  everything" option.
>
>  Honestly, I hate it.
>
>  To deal with it,  first install the system with the "tree view
>  package selection system" of the installation. Then I open up
>  software manager and try to figure out which packages dont conflict
>  with the others, etc. After spending hours I come to managing my
>  personal "install all autoinst.cfg" which is "almost" install all.
>
>  This is stupid.

Agreed.

<snip>

>  Selecting "all" the packages, is stupid too, as they will break each
>  other, but it is not the "user" to deal with it, it is the setup that
>  must deal with it.

Yes, agreed.  It all comes down to defining what 'everything' 'is'.
RedHat doesn't insatll absolutely everything on all of their disks but
rather a set list of what they determine 'everything' to be.  In my
experience, this has been good enough.

I'd be happy with "everything" meaning the complete set of base
applications that don't have conflicts with each other and that don't have
possible security implications.  Yes, someone at Mandrake needs to
actually determine what goes on the list but this is sort of one of the
jobs of distro vendor, isn't it?

<snip>

Dan