P> one weird thing i know about SuSE is they are using some kind of
P> "rpm --nodeps --force --noscripts" foreach rpms.

P> It seems to be the fastest way of installing. But maybe in that case
P> "rpm2cpio | cpio -id" would be even faster.

P> We have not been able to understand the way they handled the various %post
P> scripts.

P> If someone has better information, it is welcome :)

  I am very busy these days, but as soon as I have time, I will try to
  find out more about it.

  The thing is, actually, people dont care how their OS is installed.
  They just only want it to be installed fast. (Honestly if there was a
  distro that would just copy a few images to my hard drive, stick
  them together and do the  configuration, I would be very glad for
  the speed.But I know it is useless for many ppl, and it kills the
  "freedom of choice" )

  As long as the distro is installing faster, and the system does not
  have errors, it is ok to "--nodeps --force --noscripts". But this
  needs a good investigation and very good/trusty package management.
  This is something you mdk ppl will decide I guess.

>>  The trick is,I guess, suse installs the first cd, and boots the kernel from
>>  hard disk (does not restart the system, just loads the kernel to
>>  memory) and continues to install the other cds from the hard drive.
>>  There may be other things, could not have time to investigate more.

P> I don't think that's the solution.

P> The reason i think it is not the solution is the sluggishness of rpm with many
P> packages.

 Yes I agree, rpm is really sluggish. But isnt it the package
 management system defines how much data goes to the rpm database ?
 Say, there are limitations of minimizing "dependencies" etc., but,
 may it be possible to tweak rpms in a way that rpm db is smaller,
 making it faster?

 Regards
 Onur Kucuk