--- Owen Savill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This email is subject to the disclaimer set out
> below

> This is probably slightly off topic for this
> particular thread which is
> addressing PCMCIA LAN card issues, but please don't
> forget that the
> various experienced laptop problems do not just
> relate to LAN cards,nor
> are they consistent across laptops ! I can insert
> and remove my two
> PCMCIA LAN cards all day
so can I, I only run across this problem after a
suspend/resume. Power management is a pretty important
thing for a laptop though.... most defaults in the
bios has the system suspend when the system has not
been used for a while, so losing all of your work
because you had to make a pit stop is not a way to
create happy users. :-{

, but touching the modem
> results, not in a
> reboot, but a complete system lockup. The same
I can also verify this. I have not researched it since
I do my networking over a lan most of the time. This
does seem to be a kernel related issue at first glance
though...I got a kernel oops. I think I even took a
picture of it and relayed some of the info back to
this mailing list.

> applies to removing or
> inserting the power cable and trying to resume from
> either Suspend to
> RAM or Suspend to Disk.
I believe that this problem has been resolved with the
latest kernel (thanks to the fine work of Juan
Quintela.) You simply add append=noapic to the kernel
in lilo.conf (search the archives for a more in depth
description and instructions). I also believe that
Juan may be trying to set it up so that during initial
install it will recognize certain laptops
automatically and apply the noapic to those in
question. I have sent him some id info on my Dell
Inspiron 8000, if this resolution also works for you
and you have a different laptop, I highly encourage
you to also send him the info.... again check the
archives for more info.

> I think there are more
> fundamental problems
> surrounding the later kernels and laptops in
> general. Getting it to work
> for one model by modifying pci.agent will surely
> leave the rest of the
> laptop users exactly where they are now ?
Not necessarily, if it is a pci.agent issue, I suspect
that a little clean-up of the code should help quite a
few people. Whatever is causing this crash can not be
beneficial to keep in there. Also, Dell is a major
player, so there are many benefits to getting these
basic things to work properly out of the box. Mandrake
is trying to cater to average users, I know that I
could not install mandrake on our office laptops if
something as basic as suspending can cause the system
to reboot.

=====