--- SI Reasoning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> so I ifdown eth0, rmmod xircom_cb, then modprobe
> xircom_tulip_cb and eth0 is back up and running
> again.
> I then successfully modprobe xircom_cb (although I
> don't see any use of it since it was working fine
> without it.) Nevertheless the system continues to
> work
> without crash/reboot even though I had previously
> suspend/resumed. See log below:

One other difference I noticed. When using pci.agent 3
modules are loaded (with Xircom realport2):
xircom_tulip_cb, xircom_cb, and ds.

So, booting with lan card not inserted, and again
moving pci.agent to pci.agent.bak and then
suspend/resume, I then modprobe xircom_tulip_cb then
xircom_cb then ds. The system did not crash/boot. I
then suspend/resume again with pci.agent.bak
(effectively disabling pci.agent) and the system comes
back up with eth0 running and everything looks good.

Here are a few observations:
I don't understand the need to insmod xircom_tulip_cb
and xircom_cb and ds. It appears that only 1 of the
xircom modules is actually used. I have no idea what
ds does.
The problem does appear to have something to do with
something pci.agent is doing but I caution overreading
that since kernel 2.4.17-16mdk does work well with the
same version of pci.agent.

I do have a debugging question. Is there a way to run
pci.agent line by line with the ability to activate
each line manually? (since I will have to wait a
couple of minutes after each step to see when the
system crashes.) Maybe even creating a log file of
each step and results to help fix this problem. I feel
so close to resolving this and frustrated by my lack
of programming/debugging skills.

=====
SI Reasoning
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

A requirement of creativity is that it contributes to change.  Creativity keeps
the creator alive.

-FRANK HERBERT, unpublished notes