Dave Cowern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hey all,
>       I posted awhile ago about having trouble installing the betas.  Beta 4 is
> unfortunately no better for me.  In addition to the things I tried before
> (I've copied my original message below for completeness), I've changed my
> partitions from ReiserFS to ext3 and also ext2, I've used 3 different kinds
> of CDRs (including ones I've used very successfully in the past to install
> mdk isos), I've used 3 different CD drives (one DVD drive, one CDR drive, and
> one plain old CD drive).  I've tried it with passing the kernel options I
> need (ide2=.... for a IDE controller card).  I've tried it with various
> security settings.  The install crashes while installing packages every
> single time.  It doesn't bomb out with an error, it just hangs.  I've let
> this thing sit for 12 or more hours and it doesn't budge.
>       My question this time around is I've seen people posting all kinds of nice
> logs showing where the install has failed or given them an error.  Where do I
> get those from on my machine?   I rebooted using the rescue option and poked
> around in /tmp and /var/log but all the files there were empty.
>       As always, any suggestions are welcome.  I really want to get this working
> on my machine before 8.2 ships... I don't relish the thought of using 8.1
> until 9.0 comes out.  Thanks!  -- Dave
>
> Oh, P.S. -- Warly posted 5 criteria earlier for another install problem
> earlier this week.   In case anyone is tempted to regurgitate them, here are
> my responses.

mmm, a tough one...

1. Does it crash on the same package (for that set the details mode and see or
boot with rescue and read the /root/drakx/ddebug.log)

2. Is your machine overclocked ?

3. Do you experienced the same behavior with a 2.2 kernel (boot with the second
CD, use alternate 2.2 kernel, or make a bootdisk with alternatives images in
/images/alternatives)

4. Can you do a hd install (copying the CD on a partition and using second CD or
hd boot images to start the install from it)

--
Warly