The 2.4.18 kernel was the one that was extremely unstable.  I can try
downgrading to an earlier mdk kernel if you think that might help.  I've
reverted to 8.1 for the time being. Here is what lspcidrake from 8.1 gives me:

unknown         : unknown (10b9/1647/ffff/ffff)
unknown         : Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi]|M5247
usb-ohci        : Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi]|M5237 (USB)
usb-ohci        : Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi]|M5237 (USB)
unknown         : Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi]|M5229 IDE
unknown         : Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi]|M1533 PCI to ISA Bridge
[Aladdin
IV]
emu10k1         : Creative Labs|SB Live! (audio)
ns558           : Creative Labs|SB Live! (joystick)
unknown         : unknown (105a/4d69/ffff/ffff)
tulip           : DEC|DECchip 21140 [FasterNet]
unknown         : Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi]|M7101 PMU
Card:Voodoo3 (generic): 3Dfx Interactive, Inc.|Voodoo 3
unknown         : Virtual|Hub []
unknown         : Virtual|Hub []
unknown         : Seiko Epson Corp.|Stylus Color 760 / M800C
[Printer|Printer|Bidirectional]
unknown         : KC Technology Inc.|KC82C160S Hub []
unknown         : Unknown|Camera []

The first two unknowns are probably my ATA133 controller its the Promise
UltraTX2 133 -- it uses the PDC20269 chipset.  Since support for this is new
in 8.2 and my machine works fine under 8.1, I'm willing to bet that this is
the problem.  Is there anything else I can give you that might narrow it
down?  I'll work on getting 8.2 installed again tomorrow morning to hopefully
gain a little more information.  --  Dave