Hey all,
        I posted awhile ago about having trouble installing the betas.  Beta 4 is
unfortunately no better for me.  In addition to the things I tried before
(I've copied my original message below for completeness), I've changed my
partitions from ReiserFS to ext3 and also ext2, I've used 3 different kinds
of CDRs (including ones I've used very successfully in the past to install
mdk isos), I've used 3 different CD drives (one DVD drive, one CDR drive, and
one plain old CD drive).  I've tried it with passing the kernel options I
need (ide2=.... for a IDE controller card).  I've tried it with various
security settings.  The install crashes while installing packages every
single time.  It doesn't bomb out with an error, it just hangs.  I've let
this thing sit for 12 or more hours and it doesn't budge.
        My question this time around is I've seen people posting all kinds of nice
logs showing where the install has failed or given them an error.  Where do I
get those from on my machine?   I rebooted using the rescue option and poked
around in /tmp and /var/log but all the files there were empty.
        As always, any suggestions are welcome.  I really want to get this working
on my machine before 8.2 ships... I don't relish the thought of using 8.1
until 9.0 comes out.  Thanks!  -- Dave

Oh, P.S. -- Warly posted 5 criteria earlier for another install problem
earlier this week.   In case anyone is tempted to regurgitate them, here are
my responses.

1. burn a new CD

done. many times.

2. try new CDR brand

done. twice

3. change your CD drive

done.  twice

4. change your burner

had friends burn the CDs for me.

5. do not test

try to stop me ;-)

---------------------------------Old Message---------------------------

Hey all,
        I've been having a lot of problems installing the betas.  Since beta
1, I'd get past the package selection to the actual installing of packages.
It'd get through maybe 10 - 20 packages before locking up completely.
Switching screens to see whats going on, I find that its trying to fetch an
RPM from the CD when it fails.
        At first I figured that it might just be bad media so I tried
different brands of CDRs, same deal.  Then, I thought it might be something
with the CD burning program so I tried xroast (I was using xroaster so I
tried gcombust).  Same deal.  Then I realized they were basically just both
front ends using the same CD burning utility.  My working MDK8.1 CDs were
burnt using Nero (under windows) so I tried doing that on the same media as
the MDK8.1 CDs.  Same deal.
        I then thought it could be something with my CD or DVD drive but the
install fails the same way on both.  I have a TDK121032A CDR and generic 10x
DVD drive thats identified as a LITEON DVD-ROM LTD163.  A install of MDK8.1
succedes 100% of the time on both.
        The weird thing is that on a whim I decided to try installing beta 3
under VMWare.  The install ran like a champ... all the way to completion.
        The last thing I can think of might be that it might be a problem
with ReiserFS which is what I'm using for all my partitions.  I would try
deleting my / and /usr partitions and reinstalling on ext3 to see if that
worked but I don't have any more time to fiddle with it this weekend.
        Has anyone ran across any similar problems?  I didn't see any
problems related to this in the bugzilla database and I wanted to try to
narrow it down a little bit before I posted a formal report there.  Thanks!
-- Dave