rowland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Tuesday 08 Oct 2002 10:37 pm, Ben Reser wrote:
> everybody who has an i686 machine is missing the point. Every rpm on the

actually it's rather "you are missing the point", it seems.

> installation cd's are for i568, so why is there a directory named i686. the

because optimizing the glibc makes a big difference, the rest of
the programs can stay for i586 it doesn't make a big difference.

> fact is that if the rpms are for i586 then the kernel should be for i586 and

it is.

> anybody who has a i586 should recompile the kernel themselves. ok the
> processer or the software that identifies it is bugged, but if the i686

finally you got the point. yes, the kernel which identifies the
processor has a bug with via. this is what everybody keeps
saying.

> directory had not been there, this whole problem would not have happened :-)

well, yes, and if we would use a windows kernel the whole problem
would also not have happened..

--
Guillaume Cottenceau - http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/