hmmm I wonder if you have got/had the same problem as me - Windoze reported an error in disk size reported and "fixed it" during a defrag session - then I got a message similar to yours (I can't remeber the exact message) and some utilities (including fips 2.0) said I had overlapping partitions - yet I had done an automatic install (I just fdisk x% for Windows and let Linux automatically take care of the remainder (120 GB - x%) space - so far I have been unable to reproduce the circumstances but I now view MS Scandisk and Defrag with more suspicion (and caution) than ever!
Allan

From: "J. Greenlees" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Cooker] ldm_validate_partition_table - what's that?
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 17:33:20 -0800

Vincent Meyer, MD wrote:
Hi,

Getting this message whenever I boot up the machine, multiple times at different stages of the boot:

ldm_validate_partition_table(): disk read failed.

no idea why or what it means. What other info will help?

only time I've seen disk read errors was when the drive was failing to register with the bios.
or crashing ( ancient drive )
if your partition table got damaged at all that could concievably cause same error.