My problem with all this is that as far as I know I DID NOT DO ANYTHING THAT
WOULD WRITE TO OR CHANGE THE PARTITION TABLE - these messages just started
appearing one day.  This is the same partition table which has been working
OK for both the windows boot partition and the Mandrake boot partition with
no problems or complaints.. so why would it start complaining about this
multiple times whenever I boot my system?

I WILL take a look at the partition table later this week to see if indeed
there is a problem with it.  Just weird that it would start doing this all of
a sudden after loading assorted cooker updates.  That's what prompted my
initial question which started this thread.

V.