From: "Oden Eriksson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>> > Hi.
>> >
>> > Would it be possible to run updates via rsync?
>>
>> urpmi already supports rsync...
>

>But does it work as I proposed?

IMHO it takes care of steps 1, 2, 5,6...

Step 3. I think is somewhat har to do perfect...
- I mean, if you make it connect to every nown 'update' site
   to get response times, you may end up with a site that has good response
   time, but poor bandwidth..., not to mention the time it uses to try
them...

Step 4. Gives you a few options...
- it would need a package renaming function, somewhat like the
   troels script without the 'english-only' feature

Then it could:
   - take the package from CD, rename it to the same as the
      update and rsync it ...
      ( this calls for serious CD switching 'rumba' )
   - take the package from files copied to hd, rename it to the
      same as the update and rsync it ...
      ( this is the fastest, but uses a lot of hd space )
   - rebuild the rpm from installed rpm, rename it to the
      same as the update and rsync it ...
      ( this takes time depending on the system speed,
         and may end up using CD:s if  a some  updates need additional
         packages installed and updated )

So IMHO, atleast in theory it could be done ...

Thomas