onsdagen den 15 januari 2003 12.49 skrev Thomas Backlund:
> From: "Oden Eriksson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> >> urpmi already supports rsync...
> >
> >But does it work as I proposed?
>
> IMHO it takes care of steps 1, 2, 5,6...
>
> Step 3. I think is somewhat har to do perfect...
> - I mean, if you make it connect to every nown 'update' site
>    to get response times, you may end up with a site that has good response
>    time, but poor bandwidth..., not to mention the time it uses to try
> them...

Maybe download a test package a couple of times from each mirror and make an
average, repeat this for all(?) mirrors. This should be done once, but also
as an option to re-validate.

> Step 4. Gives you a few options...
> - it would need a package renaming function, somewhat like the
>    troels script without the 'english-only' feature

Yes.

> Then it could:
>    - take the package from CD, rename it to the same as the
>       update and rsync it ...
>       ( this calls for serious CD switching 'rumba' )

Yes.

>    - take the package from files copied to hd, rename it to the
>       same as the update and rsync it ...
>       ( this is the fastest, but uses a lot of hd space )

Yes.

>    - rebuild the rpm from installed rpm, rename it to the
>       same as the update and rsync it ...
>       ( this takes time depending on the system speed,
>          and may end up using CD:s if  a some  updates need additional
>          packages installed and updated )

Yes.

> So IMHO, atleast in theory it could be done ...
>
> Thomas

Yes, this is what I had in mind, but with less words ;)

--
Regards // Oden Eriksson, Deserve-IT.com