Oden Eriksson wrote:
Would it be possible to run updates via rsync?

Suppose it would work like this:

1. Check against a online list what's new.
2. Decide What to fetch.
3. Test which mirror is the fastest.
4. Prompt for original packages from CDROM, or make a rpm package on the fly from installed rpm package if possible.
5. Fetch package via rsync.
6. rpm -Uvh the_new_package.rpm

This will save time and bandwidth. I think it's a great idea, what do you think?
Out troels.rsync6,2.pl from my web site does 1, 2, 5.
Then use Mandrake Sources, Update - why reinvent the wheel?
This method leaves you a local mirror which is needed for steps 2, 4 next
time and for ad hoc RPM installs or reinstalls between times as necessary.

Your step 3 is complex, because
a) not all mirrors carry everything,
b) not all are at the same update level,
c) they all have different directory structures and name casing.

--
Ron. [Melbourne, Australia]
20030106 updates now available for Fastest Mandrake downloader (English-only) from: